Sunday, December 6, 2009

Snowy Field with Trees



Here's a tribute to the first snowfall of the year! An inch of slushy snow is still enough to inspire one to paint a wintery field in the gleaming light of a cold day.

The trees were particularly tricky to paint, since they were bare of leaves (or almost bare since some trees, like oaks, hold on to some browned leaves until deep into winter.) That, and the subdued colors made for a challenging painting, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Acrylic ainting: 14" x 17"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matthew:
    Thanks for thoughts on my painting, "Chrysanthemums and Copper." I enjoy painting metalic surfaces, especially copper but am also finding that I enjoy working with brass and silver from time to time. I agree with you concerning bare winter trees...such a challenge, but you have done a nice job in this painting. I especially like the shadow in the snow it's a great compositional tool that leads you right into the painting towards the main tree. Well done! Happy New Year-Andrew

    ReplyDelete