Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Autumn Glade for the Autumn Glade


Well, I named this blog "The Autumn Glade" since I love the woods, particularly in autumn. Then, I realized I didn't actually have any really good paintings of a clearing in a forest in autumn! That lead to my latest painting, which is of an open area in an mostly oak forest near a hilltop somewhere in the mountains (probably the Smoky Mountains or Blueridge Mountains.)

It was an interesting challenge to add enough color to the autumn leaves without making them look fake and over saturated. I particularly like how well the depth regression turned out in this painting - there are multiple "layers" in the painting of landscape features, each further away from the viewer. The hole in the treeline leading to the far-away clouds and mountains worked out well; the clouds are on the colorful side, but I find that I like to paint them with stronger colors to add more depth and interest to them vs. "chalky white clouds."
Acrylic Painting 14" x 17"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matthew:

    Thank you for taking some time to look at my blog and for your comments. I have enjoyed seeing your work as well. This piece is great, I love your colors and the glow the painting has. Truly some nice work. Many thanks, Andrew

    ReplyDelete